If you're not running the Feast Plugin, or it's not fully setup, use the classic theme update instructions.
This tutorial is for sites with the Feast Plugin fully setup, which has removed almost all difficulty with theme updates. One of the primary goals of the Feast Plugin was to eliminate the difficulties with updating a theme.
See the Feast Plugin Setup tutorial for instructions. We recommend that 100% of sites be on the Feast Plugin, and fully set up with it.
- Get the latest theme version from your downloads section
- Make sure this remains a ZIP FILE and your computer does not automatically extract it into a folder
- Copy the "Additional CSS" from your current theme
- Upload the theme to the Appearance > Themes admin page
- Paste the "Additional CSS" from your current theme
While we haven't seen any serious crashes or issues from theme updates in years, this is always possible, so aways recommend testing on a staging site first.
As a best practice, always test an update on a staging site before performing it on a live site. If you're not on a host that makes this as simple as clicking a button, we recommend changing hosts.