Installing Foodie Pro (3.0+) Genesis Child Theme
Important: you must have the Genesis Framework installed first before the Foodie Pro theme will work. However, do not activate Genesis before installing Foodie Pro. If you already have the Genesis Framework please make sure that it is up to date before proceeding, this is necessary for Foodie Pro to run properly on your site.
- Go to Admin -> Appearance -> Themes and click on “Add New.”
- Click on “Upload Theme.”
- Click on “Choose File” and then select the Foodie Pro zipped file from your computer and click “Install Now.”
- When you see the message “Theme Installed Successfully” click on “Activate” and Foodie Pro is now your active theme!
Importing Demo Content
Note: This step is only necessary if you are just starting out and do not have any content. Importing the demo content allows you the flexibility of knowing what your established site will look like as you decide how you’d like things configured. If you already have an established WordPress site then you can skip this step and move on down to “Importing the Demo Widgets.”
- From your dashboard navigate to Tools -> Import -> WordPress
- If you do not already have the WordPress Importer plugin installed a screen will pop up and prompt you to install that plugin. Please do so and then click “Activate and Run” on the next screen.
- Click “Browse” and then in your UNZIPPED Foodie Pro file find the file named Sample Data and open it.
- Select the XML Document named foodiepro.xml and then click on “upload file and import.”
- You can select yourself from the “or assign posts to an existing user” dropdown menu
- Then check the box next to “Download and import file attachments” and then click submit.
- When you get the message “All done. Have fun!” then you are all set up with demo content to play around with.
Importing the Foodie Pro Theme Demo Widgets
Following this step will save you a lot of time as you won’t have to arrange and configure every single widget or plugin for each widget area.
Pay careful attention to where you’re attempting to import the XML file – you need to use the “Widget Importer & Exporter” plugin in step #1, not the “WordPress Import” page.
- The first step is to make sure that you have all of the necessary plugins. Before moving forward please install and activate the following plugins: Widget Importer and Exporter, Genesis Enews Extended, Simple Social Icons, Genesis Simple Share, WP Featherlight, WP Instagram Widget. These are the bare bones plugins necessary to get all of the demo content to import.
- Now from your dashboard navigate to Tools -> Widget Importer and Exporter
- Click “Choose File” and then from your UNZIPPED Foodie Pro file open the xml folder and then select the foodieprowidgets.wie file.
- Click “Import Widgets”
- Navigate to Appearance -> Widgets and update all of the widgets with your own information.
Now all of the widgets from the Foodie Pro theme demo have been imported to your wordpress site and the fun begins! You can change the configurations to get your site to display as you wish. Please note that sometimes during import some of the widget areas may become misconfigured. If this has happened to you, please see the tutorials provided for each specific widget area to get things re-configured.